Pathfinder Village is proud to be a contributing partner with the Edmeston Central School's and Morris Central School's 5210 Programs, and has worked over the past few years to improve community health and nutrition by offering a variety of programs. Chief among these is our Pathfinder Produce fresh fruit and vegetable markets held on Thursdays at the Pathfinder Village Commons from 1 to 5 p.m. A second market opened in partnership with the United Methodist Church of Morris, and is held on Fridays at the church hall, 17 Church Street, Morris, from 1 to 4 p.m.
The local 5210 Wellness Committees began as part of a Bassett Research Institute's pilot program started in Edmeston and Delhi, and later in Morris. These two-year pilot projects resulted in community organizations in each area developing programs that would encourage local residents to:
- Eat five or more servings of fruits and vegetables each day.
- Limit recreational screen time to two hours or less each day.
- Partake in one hour of exercise/vigorous physical activity daily.
- And to reduce the consumption of sugar-laden drinks to 0.
To learn more about local efforts, watch this 21 min. video. Through Edmeston's 5210 pilot project, Pathfinder Village has successfully:
- Started the Pathfinder Produce market, which is shared each week through Facebook, the Pathfinder Produce blog and emailed price lists.
- Created work and volunteer positions for members of the Pathfinder Village community who live with developmental disabilities, offering additional opportunities and flexible schedules for a constituency that is underemployed.
- Started a flexible payment program for produce market patrons, which includes SNAP benefits, credit cards, and personal checks. Additionally, the market offers a buyer's club card for steady customers.
- Built a three new Hoop Houses in partnership with local health organizations and private foundations, through which market staff, adult day service partipants and school students raise organic produce to sell through the market.
- Initiated Splash Path, a 5K run and fun walk, to provide families with a celebratory fitness activity.
- Developed a new Community Walking Trail on Pathfinder Village property for the public to use and enjoy.